Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Weaponry

Should Sam have a dagger or a machete? The machete has drawn some strong reactions from classmates about potentially being over the top ("too Arabian Nights"), but more threatening and a lot easier to see. At the same time, I've heard accounts that swords were used in these riots. So I have a decision to make. For right now, I'm leaning towards the dagger because I've tried to shy away from overstating the violence in the film to make it feel a little more realistic as opposed to exaggerated. Of course, using the word "realistic" is a contradiction because I just mentioned that swords were used in the Partition riots, but I need to be conscious of both historical accuracy and cinematic stereotypes.

I'll ask the faculty what they think at a later date

Machete:


Dagger:


And here is the same comparison with movement:
(The difference is more subtle when the characters are animated but there are going to be enough scenes with the dagger/machete that deciding between them is important.)

Machete:



Dagger:

No comments: