Based on my meetings with Mike Patterson and Christine Panushka last week, I decided to try some motion tests to see if my ideas for the crowd were even feasible.
Massive (the crowd simulation software) doesn't export geometry to Maya, so I had to hack together a script to get my Massive animation to drive Maya characters. These tests use just one character although the final version of the film will have more variety.
Here's the 3D render:
The composite with color correction, temporary smoke and a background:
***Update: I also added Bir to this shot
I think the next step is to get some more handdrawn texture onto the crowd and Bir. Also, the white caps are not really that visible right now.